Two weekends ago, Lilly went to spend the weekend with her Grandparents and Aunt Laura. We had it planned for over a month but for some reason I just put it out of my head until the weekend arrived. I planned nothing….we planned nothing.
My mom picked her up Friday night and they made their way back to Halifax – just over an hour’s drive. Lilly had a wonderful weekend playing outside, colouring, putting “ponies” in Aunt Laura’s, hair eating and sleeping well. And telling her Grandmother “you can’t catch me” while moving as far back in the bathtub as she could.
My husband and I decided to take it easy. The only plans we had were to go out for dinner and a movie – and that’s literally all we did. We saw “The Words” with Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana. When it was over I turned to Sai and said that it went by really fast and I wasn’t expecting it to end so soon. He replied with “Isn’t that a sign of a good movie?”
The other thing we managed to do was sleep in both days! Wow – sure forgot what that was like.
Everyone had a great weekend. Success!
When my husband was away last year (for school), I was on my own working full-time, taking care of Lilly and our dog. It was kinda crazy as I look back at it now. There was one weekend that I blogged about but never hit the publish button, until now…. about being on my own for the first time in ages. No Lilly, no husband and Maclean (our dog).
My weekend without my little: (as written back in February)
I honestly can’t remember the last time I was completely by myself. Lilly’s been in our lives for 20 months, plus 9 months in my belly and I’ve been married to Sai for 4+ years.
I wasn’t quite sure about this idea of her being an hour away but what did I have to lose? Lilly left with my mom Friday morning and didn’t look back. No tears, no asking for Mommy … nothing. She played with my sister, stuck stickers everywhere at my parents house (on furniture, Grandad’s face, the floor) and drew a picture for both Sai and I. Apparently, she had a wonderful weekend with her Grandparents and my sister.
I on the other hand couldn’t figure out what to do with a whole weekend to myself. No toddler, no husband, no doggie (she went to Halifax too). I had a few suggestions from friends:
- Drink tea and read a book
- Friday: Bubble bath, wine, none kid friendly meal (chips and dip?), early bed – ALL to myself!
- Saturday: sleep in, go shopping, talk to long-lost friends on the phone, exercise, scrub bathroom, fold laundry, nap / lay in bed and read, cook a delicious, time-consuming, non-kid friendly supper, another bubble bath and more of that bottle of wine, read, relax,sleep.
- Sunday: RELAX!!!!! (run, read, knit, tidy)
- More Sleep, laundry, housework, sleep, beer
- And go for a Long Run
Usually I like to go into a weekend with a plan, things to do, items to cross of my list, goals to accomplish. Nope, not this weekend, I just went with it.
- Came home and closed the gate behind me – guess I was worried that I would fall down the stairs at some point!
- Cooked up some bacon wrapped scallops. They looked great but didn’t taste so great AND I burnt the extra bacon! Dam!
- Had a drink: Malibu Rum and OJ – yum
- Relaxed in front of the T.V. and did nothing
- Woke up at 6:35 a.m., went back to bed.
- Woke up at 7:47 a.m. (I was not meant to sleep in)
- Cleaned the house
- Ran some errands
- Had a delicious hot chocolate and morning-glory muffin at my friend’s work (while she was working)
- Dropped Lilly’s library books at the Library (or I would have had to paid a late fee)
- Had lunch at home, caught up with a friend on the phone
- Went to a movie by myself! (The Vow). One of my 12 things in 2012 done
- Put together a shelf – should have started the wine at this point in the day
- Worked out – felt so good…showered
- Talked to my hubby
- Watched Criminal Minds on my lap top while drinking wine, eating cheese, crackers and grapes.
[Again, hoping for a good sleep in – even 8:30 would be great)
- 6:30 a.m. woke up, went back to bed
- 7:14 a.m. woke up….Am I ever going to sleep in again? or is my body just hard-wired to be up at that hour ?!?!?!
- Cleaned the house
- 10:30 am left for Halifax to switch cars and pick up Lilly
- I somehow manage to sneak in the house without Lilly or my sister, Laura hearing me (bonus)
- Lilly see’s me and jumps up and down (BEST HUG EVER!!!!)
- Lilly and I travel back home (she didn’t nap as per usual)
- 3 pm – Lilly goes for a nap, I unpacked the car and starting writing my blog post (never published until now).
Looking back, it was a great weekend completely by myself. Now, I don’t think this is going to happen very often, in fact it will probably not happen again for a long time. Apparently, it was just what I needed.
As much as it sucked being away from Lilly for a whole weekend, I think I am a better mom for taking a break for myself. selfish, sure. Necessary, yes. Being a single parent is hard….hard work. I still don’t know how people do this and work, and manage a house and have a dog …. etc
When was the first time your little one(s) stay away from home for the weekend?
What did you do?