Warm Quinoa Dish
I’ve been wanting to make something with Quinoa recently and decided to go back to one of my old favourites.
(Simply Lovely Quinoa from The Garden of Vegan by Sarah Kramer & Tanya Barnard)
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2-3 stalks celery – chopped
- 6-8 mushrooms – chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stick
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, saute the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms in oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the quinoa and saute for an additional minute.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes (do not drain), vegetable stock, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Mix together, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until liquid has reduced.
Makes 4-6 servings.
- You can add carrots or other veggies if you’d like.
- I used ginger paste instead of minced garlic as we didn’t have any on hand.
Quinoa is so good for you. ”Quinoa provides a complete protein, making it especially valuable for those who prefer to reduce or completely eliminate animal protein from their diets.
It contains all the essential amino acids, including lysine, which is crucial for growing and repairing body tissues. One cup of quinoa provides 9 grams of protein which is one more gram than a medium chicken egg.” Source.
Have you ever had Quinoa ?
How do you use it?