Talk about amazing cookies! I made these a few weeks ago and then again the other night. They may become our family staple cookie – they are that easy to make.
And……drum roll …….. VEGAN!
The original recipe can be found on The Fat Free Vegan, a blog I’ve come to use all the time now.
Banana Maple Oatmeal Cookies – Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon ground chia seeds or 2 tsp. egg replacer powder or 2 tsp. ground flaxseed* I used flaxseed.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup regular or quick oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins *I also added 1/4 cup of chocolate chips (not reflected in the below nutritional facts)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chia seeds (or egg replacer or flaxseed) with the water and set aside until thickened (no waiting is necessary if packaged egg replacer is used.)
- Mix the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Add the raisins.
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla, mashed banana, and lemon juice to the chia/flax/egg replacer mixture and combine well. Pour into the dry mixture and stir well but don’t overmix.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with a silicon mat or parchment paper. Flatten each cookie slightly with a fork. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until bottoms and sides are lightly brown. Cool for a few minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 18
Nutrition (per cookie): 78 calories, 5 calories from fat, less than 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 106.1mg potassium, 17.5g carbohydrates, 1.7g fiber, 7.6g sugar, 1.7g protein, 1.3 points. Please note – As I added the chocolate chips, it is not reflected in the above Nutrition as provided from The Fat Free Vegan Blog.
My husband loved them and of course…little Miss Lilly did too. I just need to perfect the shape as mind are not pretty.
Don’t forget to check out my Low Fat Zucchini Brownies post 🙂