Recently I’ve been purchasing a lot of avocado’s for our family. In the past I haven’t been a big fan of avocado’s. I guess because of the texture but over the last few months have been pushing myself to eat them with other foods. Avocado’s with eggs or as a creamy base in a sandwich and this delicious Vegan Creamy Avocado Pasta.
I found the recipe on Pinterest “From the Little Yellow Kitchen” – check out their blog…their pictures are WAY better. The original recipe came from “Oh She Glows” – one of my favourite go to vegan blogs.
Oh – and you don’t have to be a vegan to make this…just give it a try and you’ll LOVE it! Trust me.
Creamy Avocado Pasta: (Adapted from: Oh She Glows, makes 4 servings)
2 medium California avocados
1 lemon juiced + lemon zest (I omitted the lemon zest mainly because I forgot about it – whoops!)
3 garlic cloves to taste
1/2 cup Fresh Basil (I used 8 tbsp of dried basil since we didn’t have fresh basil on hand)
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 servings of pasta shells
salt and pepper to taste
- Add your pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Make sauce by blending the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil together in a food processor. Then add avocado, basil salt and pepper and process until creamy.
- Pour sauce onto pasta and toss. Garnish with lemon zest and pepper.
- Little Yellow Note: If you want to save the leftovers, add extra lemon juice to prevent the avocado from browning.
Piper’s Run Notes:
- I completely didn’t follow the directions and put everything in our blender at the same time. Those poor garlic cloves had no chance of going anywhere fast. Good lesson learned – ALWAYS follow directions even when you are in a hurry and think you know what you are doing 🙂
- I put a little parmesan cheese on Lilly’s and she thought that was just great.
- I also found that this made tones of creamy avocado sauce; too much for the full box of pasta shells we made. We kept the remainder (almost 1/2) for the next day. We used it as a base for pizza – talk about delicious!
- We thought this would be a great dish to have with a big group of people since the above recipe makes so much. And would be great paired with chicken…we’ll I thought this, my vegan husband agreed but said he’d pass on the chicken next time 😉
Would I make this again? In a heart beat. My husband and Lilly (almost 3 years old) loved it. She had no idea there was avocado in it, something she would not eat normally.