It’s Thanksgiving weekend in Canada ! One of my favourite times of year. We are gearing up for Lilly’s first run today and then Thanksgiving dinner with the fam on Sunday. After going over the menu with Mom I realised I should probably make something for my vegan husband and remembered this yummy pie I made last year.
VEGAN APPLE PIE
Thanksgiving Vegan Apple Pie:
6 – 8 large baking apples (Granny Smith are best) cored and sliced
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
3/4 maple syrup
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1 pie crust (See end of post)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Core and slice apples into bite-sized pieces.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil, then reduce heat to medium and add the apples and optional raisins to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Save 1/4 cup of “apple water” for use later.
- Drain apples and place in a large bowl.
- Mix carefully together the cooked apples, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, mix the 1/4 cup “apple water” with the cornstarch over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture turns very thick.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the rest of the ingredients, stirring until mixed well.
- Pour into a pie crust and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Pie Crust: (Similar to Cristco pie crust – one serving)
- 1 cup and 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick of shortening (I use Earth Balance as it’s vegan)
- 3-6 tbsp of ice-cold water
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Cut up shortening and mix into flour.
- Add water by the tbsp.
- Put in fridge for 30 minutes to chill (or freezer for 10 minutes)
- Roll into pie crust
What’s your favourite pie to eat? or make?
What are you Thankful for?
Me: my little family.
Reminder – today’s the last day to enter My Race Ragz Giveaway (US Residents only).