Let’s just say I have a great respect for the sport and the athletes that compete in Speed Skating! WOAH!
Speed Skating 101
- Listen to your instructor the whole time (he/she will give you lots of pointers)
- It’s not like normal skating
- Wear a helmet…any helmet will do
- Speed skates are SHARP, long and uncomfortable
- Don’t try it for the first time when little kids are around on a free skate
- Don’t try cross-overs……bad idea
- You better be ready to squat
- Physical literacy skills are a must
- There is a lot to think about and remember when speed skating; your feet sweep almost like the breast stroke in swimming, your right arm only rocks back and forth to propel you, don’t dig your toes in like normal skates etc.
I had the opportunity to try speed skating today during my lunch hour with people who I work with. One guy runs a newly formed speed skating club for kids and adults. I went with two of my co-workers who are open to trying anything and being active (daily).
We had a lot of fun, weaved in and out of the children skating, had sore feet, tried to keep our form and our legs were sore from squatting. It was a great workout!
Have you ever tried speed skating?
Would you try it?
Have you ever tried a new sport and have gained appreciation for those athletes who compete?