We’re about to be hit with another snow storm in Nova Scotia. Yes, it’s still March but technically it is spring. We’ve been watching the warnings on the weather network, local tv news stations, reading it in newspapers and it’s plastered all over Facebook – “Another Wednesday snow storm to hit Nova Scotia”. Urgh!
This time around, we have had multiple days to prepare for the “White-Juan” that hit the Maritimes back in 2004. Cancellations, road advisories, rescheduling events are consuming people, along with preparing for the storm.
How to Survive a (late) Snow Storm in the Spring:
- Stock up on food. Snack food and food you can make if the power goes out. The storm may only last a few hours to a few days – be prepared for the unknown.
- Stock your wood pile if you have a wood stove or fire-place. If you don’t bring the wood inside before the storm, there is a good chance you won’t be able to get outside during the storm.
- Get extra water for toilets (power outages), and drinking water.
- Double check your batteries and flashlights are ready to go. Also, find any extra candles and matches.
- Charge your cell phone, lap top, IPad, IPod etc – might be a while until you can do so again!
- Do all your dishes – a load of dirty dishes in your dishwasher isn’t fun if the power goes out for days. You’ll probably need them during the storm anyway. Get ’em done!
- Make sure the laundry is up-to-date before the storm, or as close as it can be. You don’t’ want to run out of clean underwear do you?
- Buy some special treats for you and your family. Popcorn, chips, M&M’s, Jr. Mints. And yes, I bought my favourite Jr. Mints today…I can’t believe I did that…ha ha!
- Never to early to have propane in your BBQ!!! Winter bbq can be quite fun!
- If you have a generator, make sure it’s working.
- Take out the shovels you just put away. I know, you may get emotional doing this but trust me, it’s better to have them out and ready then struggle last-minute to find them.
- Partner up with your neighbour to watch each other’s kids while you clear the snow from your driveway, invite them over for a meal….reach out and support one another.
What to do during the storm?
- Have fun. Enjoy the day home with your family or by yourself.
- Play inside and build a fort with cushion’s from your couch and blankets from your bed.
- Run on your treadmill, workout with those weights, roll out that yoga mat that is collecting dust.
- Get outside and jump in the snow…then shovel. Always play first, work hard second.
- Snuggle on the couch and watch a movie….remember that special treat you bought? Perfecting timing!
- Get crafty….thank you Pinterest.
Winter snow storms can be a stressful time; blowing snow, wind gusts, power outages, damages occur. Be patient….it will pass over eventually. Just try having fun in the meantime and know that the weather is going to warm up in a few days 😉
Good luck Nova Scotian’s, Maritimer’s (PEI, NB etc).
What’s your best tip to survive a winter storm?
Do you prepare for a storm (snow, rain, hurricane, etc) ?
Do you buy storm chips? Apparently, this is a big thing to do!!!
Also….I’m just going to say….keep an eye on the number of babies that are born in December! 😉 Just saying…9 months is a long time. 🙂
10 thoughts on “How to Survive a Winter Storm (in the Spring!)”
oof, another storm! Although its kind of discouraging at the end of march there is something kind of majestical about being snowed in my the family, sounds like you’re prepared for everything. Whenever there is even an inch of snow on the forecast people will run towards grocery stores, it’s madness!
It is very discouraging. However, I agree…it’s nice to be “stuck” home with my girls and it would be even better if my husband was home…but Paramedics have to work too 😦 Ahh well.
Hope your day is warm and sunny!
Oh I feel you! It snowed yesterday and today it’s -20 with the windchill. Oh the joys of being Canadian (I live in Ontario).
Yes, I heard you got snow yesterday…i’m done with it. Hope it warms up for you guys soon…i’m sure this summer we’ll be complaining about the+35 degree weather ,lol . Stay warm!
Ha ha ha. It’s NEVER too hot (I am a summer baby). Same to you.
You are prepared and that is good! Good advise/points too. Stay warm and it will really be spring soon!
I fell prepared and am fine with the 40-50cm of snow….it’s the hurricane winds that are making me nervous. It’s just starting to pick up and only going to get worse as the day goes on! yikes!
Denver is known for Spring storms. The only thing that gets me through spring storms is knowing that the next day could be 60 and Sunny again. Seriously the only thing, lol.
I wish it was going to be that warm here tomorrow. It’s going to be more shoveling and snow removal everywhere! The storm is just picking up and getting worse…it’s going to be a bad one! I’m just a little scared.
Great list. I hope I never have to use it.
We got an ice storm in Texas this winter and everyone freaked out. I went to the grocery and the shelves were bare. It was crazy.