Recently I was reading a thread on the TTP Running Facebook page and someone asked a question about Pre Race Rituals. There are a lot of TTP runner’s that are getting ready to run the Bluenose Marathon this coming weekend so it’s a great place to get some advice right now.
It made me think….what are MY pre race rituals? I really had to think about it. At first all I could think of were my pre game rituals for soccer:
- Thin socks under my shin pads, than soccer socks on top.
- A warm up/stretch.
- A few touches on the ball with someone else or on my own – a must.
Pretty basic. But, if I don’t have thin socks under my shin pads….it throw’s off my game!
After thinking about my running rituals, this is what I came up with:
- Pasta dinner the night before a race
- (More recently) Getting “Flat Anna/Piper” all ready to go
- Charge Garmin
- Bagel with peanut butter and banana for breakfast, maybe a little OJ.
- Pee as much as I can before the race
- Talk the butterfly’s out of my stomach as I line up for the run
- Sandals for my post race drive home 🙂
Some rituals that were shared:
- Left sock on then right sock on. Left shoe on then right shoe.
- Don’t wear race t-shirt before/during race
- Double knotted laces
- Music pumping while you get dressed/drive to race
- Bib numbers with a specific number in it (ie: favourite number)
So what are your Pre Race Rituals ?
Are there any rituals that you don’t think anyone else does?
What is the weirdest ritual you’ve heard of?