I’m not sure if you can tell, but I’m getting a little excited about the Bluenose Marathon this coming weekend in Halifax 🙂 I managed to come down with a head cold yesterday so I’m doing everything I can to get better. I signed Lilly up for the 2k Kids Run on Saturday and am going to run/walk it with her…I’m pretty sure it’s the best last-minute race fees I’ve ever spent 🙂 Sunday, I’m running the 10k and looking forward to it as it’s been a long time since I ran that route.
Yesterday I blogged about some Pre-Race Rituals and I wanted to follow-up with some Post Race Rituals!
Again, I had to sit down and really think about my post race rituals…what were they… did I even have any?
- Find family member/running friends post run – in the sea of other people
- Drink something with protein (chocolate milk, smoothie)
- Eat bagel/banana (pretty much the same food I ate before the race)
- Must take of running sneakers and wear something else to drive in: Sandals (Birkenstocks other runners etc)
- Nap – is a must for recovery though sometimes can’t happen with little kids
- Compression Socks after I shower.
- Eat, eat and eat some more !
I thought I would ask some of my fellow Canuck Running Bloggers (on Facebook) what they do Post Race …. apparently we love our food and beer/wine post race 🙂
- Go out for a big honkin’ farmer’s breakfast someplace near the finish line. Eggs, sausage, bacon — just pile it all on!
- Directly after the race I change into flip flops, especially a long race. I want as little on my feet as possible. Then next, a big meal! Usually a burger or brunch, and a beer. Always a beer 🙂
- Go to starbucks for a venti…no matter what….
- Find the nearest Irish pub. Order a pint or 2 and savour the moment!
- Walk as much as possible, have a latte, salty snack, ice cream, THEN dinner with wine. And more ice cream.
- First thing I do is take off my runners and put on my Birkenstocks! I then sit in really long, hot shower. Stretch. Eventually find french fries or chips.
- Coffee and a snack. Followed by many, many, MANY snacks!!! And a nap.
- I often wear injinji sox…so off with the shoes and on with flip flops haha with the sox on!
- Immediately eat a gluten-free bar or banana. Then as soon as humanly possible take a long, hot shower (no ice baths for me). As soon as feasible eat a real meal (an omelette with gluten-free bagel is my fave). Coffee in there somewhere, wherever it’s convenient. Compression socks post shower, sleep in them and keep them on next day. Dream of a nap (it never happens). It seems to be better to keep moving anyway.
Thanks Canuck Running Bloggers for your input 🙂
Anyone ice bath, drink beer/wine, eat bad food, get a massage?
What are your Post Race Rituals ?
Are there any rituals you do that you don’t think others do?
What’s the weirdest Post Race Ritual you’ve hear of?