Seriously, I can’t believe I did this!
My half marathon in October was my last big race followed by the BLT 5k. I had plans to run a Christmas themed event but didn’t commit to that until last Friday and it’s Nov 29th. It’s a fun 5k put on by a local realty group raising money for Big Brother’s Big Sisters and I get to buy a toy for a kid. You can’t go wrong there. But wait, there is one more!
After soccer Wednesday night I got home and found this message from my running buddy around 10:30 pm:
“hey – in case you really were thinking of doing the Sackville run, registration closes tonight”
Okay, I thought and walked away from the computer. I then mentioned it to my husband. This is where the wheels started turning. Well, why not he said! Why not run it? Lilly has soccer (parent and tot program) and Hilary would need someone to be with her. Then I remembered my sister was going to be visiting. I’d have to travel an hour. I wasn’t trained for it. The list of excuses could go on!
My next thoughts were:
- Oh shit, I thought…I might register for this. I can choose between 5k, 10k, and 15k.
- I could run the 15k and it would be an automatic PB since I’ve never run that distance in a race
- Oh man, I’m crazy for considering this.
- Do I really want to run without any training behind me? (I ran 11k Sunday, 9k Tuesday and soccer Wednesday).
- I thought I was done running/racing for the year?
- This run could help me reach my 1000 km goal! (Which I’m very close to achieving)
And……I then I registered.
My next thoughts:
- Okay, you clearly can manage a decent 10k.
- Good lord, what have I done?
- I’m going to need to locate all my winter running gear now.
- I think I’m addicted to running.
- I’m nuts!
- At least I’ll get to run it with my running buddy 🙂
And that my friends is all it took. One little nudge from my running buddy, when for weeks I said I was done running/racing for the year. Sackville Sneaker Shredder 10k…here I come! Oh, and apparently the course is super hilly! Awesome!
What’s the latest you’ve signed up for a race?
Anyone still racing?