Injured hamstring and stomach bug…not fun times these last few days but life goes on! When you happen to be a mother who runs and is injured and get the stomach bug….very little running happens.
So, what DOES a (this) Mother Runner do when injured and sick:
- You do what you can get to your kids to day care/school in the morning – sometimes it’s not pretty.
- Once you get back home, you sleep. Alone. No disruptions. Woah!
- You try to eat bland food (Banana’s, Rice, Apple Sauce, Toast – works for adults too) but can’t stomach much.
- You watch TV or the Boston Marathon since it happened to be on the day you stayed home from work (a.k.a. sickest day of the year).
- While checking in on some runners, you think “I could totally run today, it’s sunny and beautiful outside”.
- Then you plan a walk because the thought of running injured AND sick isn’t awesome.
- You think you can walk 2k and even pull out your trusty buddy: Green Garmin
- Then your head starts to pound and you put your Garmin away and pop some Ibuprofen.
- You re-evaluate your 2k walk to “I’ll just walk around the corner and get the mail”.
- You lace up your OLD sneakers because why would you put on your new ones for “just a walk”.
- Oh, fresh air is lovely and the sun is warm….you are probably getting some new freckles as you walk into the sun. Sunscreen…dammit, I forgot to put it on.
- After you get the mail you decided to walk around the block, I mean…you’ve already made it outside AND got the mail you might as well get a few steps towards your daily 10,000 goal because Fitbit Flex is going to know you’ve been a lazy lizard today.
- Then your head starts pounding and you pick up your walking pace because you just want to get home.
- You may or may not read your husbands Canadian Running Magazine that arrived in the mail.
- You think about the rest of your day: picking up your kids, dinner, bath…it’s it bed time yet? When is Sai home again?
- You dream about healthy days, somehow get the girls fed, bathed and in bed.
- You go to bed.
- 15 minutes after going to bed you realize you have KT tape in your running supplies…so you jump online to search “KT Tape hamstring” and attempt to tape your hamstring by night-light. WTF?
- It doesn’t work so you just go to bed.
The current life of this mother runner 😉
PS – I went to the Osteopath yesterday and now HURT ALL OVER! Seriously, I hurt everywhere and she warned me I would feel like this. But it’s all good.
Good news: I can run after Friday. Bad news: I can’t run outside for 2 weeks. So Sunday’s ATF 5k is out and I’m okay with that because I can STILL run on my treadmill and focus on getting stronger.
Also good news: I think I got my appetite back 🙂
And last but not least – Thanks for all your positive comments on my long lasting hamstring injury. I appreciate your comments and ideas to get me better 🙂
Do you try to run when you are home sick?
Did you watch Boston?
Do you keep your old sneakers for walking/house stuff?