Day in the Life of Piper’s Run

A few of the Canadian Sweat Pink Ambassador’s have come together for a “Day in the Life of…”, thanks to our little (but mighty) Canadian SPA’s Facebook page. I chose Sunday as my day and I’m pretty sure that was a bad idea. It ended up being a bit of a crazy day for us. This is how my day went….oh and my husband was away so it was just me and our girls. He is home at the moment 🙂

7:15  am After getting up 7 times, yes 7, throughout the night with Hilary, we finally got up at 7:15 to her crying/screaming. Poor girl has had a terrible rash and we’ve been to the hospital twice this past week. All I could think about was … oh man, I’m going to need to run today to just get through the day. My mother was visiting as I had to work the day before at a youth run.

Then I made breakfast, put load of laundry on, put a ham in the slow cooker, peeled a bunch of banana’s from the youth run that were left over to freeze, took the compost out and packed up my Mother’s car as she was leaving.

8:30 am Said goodbye to my mom, Lilly had a time out for spitting on her sister and then Hilary had tantrum #1 of the day.

I quickly got on Facebook to see if my neighbour could babysit that afternoon as I knew it was going to be a long, rough day. She was free and excited to hang out with the girls for a bit. This is what got me through my morning.

The girls did some dancing then colouring while I did the laundry. We were tired and exhausted from the night before. At 10 am we skyped with their Nan (Sai’s mom) from England; Hilary was pretty cranky at this point. awesome

day life of Piper's Run

10:30 am We delivered Lilly’s birthday invitations to her friends. Enter trantrum #2, #3 and #4 for Hilary. We also had to pick up a few groceries – surprisingly that was the easiest part of the day!

After tantrum #4, Hilary fell asleep in the car and it was on empty for gas! awesome I drove as long as I could since she was so exhausted and got gas while she managed to stay asleep. Lilly was so good during all of this. Eventually we got home and cranky Hilary was still cranky and we had lunch around 12:30. 

day life of Piper's Run 2

1:30 pm I called my neighbour/babysitter and headed over with the girls. She had big plans to hit up the park near by and I the trail for a run.

I have been recently given the go-ahead to run outside; low km, low-speed. This trail run was just what I needed and I knew that when I woke up this morning. After I finished I did a few PT exercises and got the girls. Then we all did more PT exercises together which was hilarious and probably the best part of our day together – no tantrums or time outs!

Beautiful day on the trail

Beautiful day on the trail

We played, did more laundry and coloured a bit.

4:00 pm Our friends arrived for dinner…you know, that ham I put in the slow cooker first thing in the morning. She has a little 8 month old and almost 5-year-old. We spent the first year of Lilly’s and Kayden’s lives together – almost every day! We had a great visit with them and as they were leaving tantrum #5 hit us.

Hilary did NOT want a bath! However, once in the tub she was loving it, as was her sister!

7:30 pm A little later than normal, I got the girls to bed. Then quickly did the dishes, cleaned up the kitchen and got ready for a #RunATCan twitter chat.

8:00 pm #RunATCan twitter chat happened which is always a good time. In between the questions, I got caught up on emails, blog stuff and put more laundry away. Man, the laundry kills me sometimes!

9:30 pm I managed to catch my husband on the phone as he wasn’t busy (he’s a paramedic in PEI) and we got caught up on the day. At some point I got a shower and checked on the girls and was in bed just after 10:30 pm.

My day didn’t stop there!

After being asleep for 1.5 hours, I woke up to Hilary crying and screaming again. Wow, I can’t wait for her last set of molar’s to be out and this rash to be cleared up so I don’t have to get up 5-7 times a night with her. She was just beside herself last night.

It was such a long day and night for me that when I woke up Monday morning, I hit snooze 5 times!

So, that’s how my day went! The one thing I noticed was when I woke up the first thing I thought about is….“how and when am I going to run today” and “can I get a babysitter for 45 -60 minutes last-minute” so I can have some time to myself and clear my head.

Selfish, sure. BUT – I needed that so I could deal with everything that was going to come my way later in the day. Sometimes you have to be a little selfish to keep everyone happy and on track. This wasn’t the best day for us and I almost didn’t want to blog about it but I signed up to share and here I am. Sharing my day, my decision and my outcomes.

Check out the other Canadian Sweat Pink Ambassador’s bloggers “day in the life of” here:

Carmy @
Angela @
Rebecca @
Heather @
Susan @
Tina @
Kim @
Kris @
Brittany @

What’s your typical day like?

Do you plan your days our or just go with the flow?

Parents of toddlers – how many tantrums do your kids have any give day?

23 thoughts on “Day in the Life of Piper’s Run

  1. Whew what a day!! I got tired just reading this. 🙂
    I used to go with the flow a lot more than I do now, but now that I’m solo I find it easier to plan things out. As far as tantrums are concerned it really depends on the day. She had a couple yesterday, but sometimes there won’t be any. Or sometimes there will be like 10 haha.

  2. I try to plan my days, but sometimes end up just going with the flow. During the school year, I am up by 4am, doing some sort of workout from about 4:45-6, leave for work by 6:30, work through 2:30, then a second workout, home to cook dinner, chores and pack my stuff to do it all again the next day. I’m pretty good about sticking to it until about late May/early June. By then, I am so ready for summer break that I’m usually just going with the flow!

  3. Wow – what a day. Poor Hilary!

    My days are pretty rigid with schedules. I almost can never go with the flow. Sometimes stuff happens that interrupts the schedule and it can cause chaos!

    Max doesn’t really throw tantrums (sorry…) – he does get angry if he is hungry or tired

    • Hilary’s in a very independent stage and doesn’t like the word “no”!!! I think the fact that she’s super exhausted right now and sick just made it worse. She’s getting better but now has a throat infection, poor girl.

  4. Can I just say that I’m exhausted just reading about your day?!? As someone who struggles to manage my little household of 3 (me, my full-grown husband and one elderly dog), I’m always blown away my moms like you! Glad to hear you were able to get your run in too. Nothing selfish about it. An investment in your health and well-being is an investment in your entire family. 🙂

    By the way, not to add to your already busy life, but I just nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. Details at if you want to participate. (No pressure!)

    • Oh, I was exhausted proof reading my day! I may do another one – a work day as they aren’t as hectic as Sunday past!
      Thanks for the nomination! Will check it out and do a post next week 🙂

    • Oh, ham in the slow cooker is so good! I usually just put 1-2 cups of water in and whatever spices you want (me, I don’t put anything but some put cloves or pineapple). I’ve heard the key with slow cooking a ham is to not lift the lid at all until it’s done as it as another 30 minutes to the cooking process!

  5. haha! What a busy day for sure. I love how you seem to have a balance on things 🙂 and proud that you set your priorities. AS my daughter gets older I am realizing I need to do that too more. But sometimes the mommy guilt gets the best of me, but what keeps me motivated is that after a run she seems so proud of me, “Mama Home, Running! Good Job” Makes it worth it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.