I’ve been cleared to run again and play soccer….wooooohooooo!!!!!!!!!
This past Wednesday I had my much anticipated physiotherapy appointment and it was great. I injured my ankle Aug 14th playing soccer but it was the oddest injury to date. Very little swelling with lots of pain. I rested, I swam, I did yoga, I even cycled a bit. Then I broke down a snuck in a run AND then a double race at Maritime Race Weekend.
After my hour and a half assessment, it was figured that I probably had a first degree strain but most of the injury was joint not ligament, hence the limited swelling I had. He was happy with where I was at and asked me to stay a little longer to go over some exercises. My stability is horrible so most of the exercises focus on that, plus will assist with my running.
Back to Running Favourites:
- Easy running outside in the fresh cool air. Glorious!
- Running is time to myself. This may sound greedy or selfish but I know that when I’m running consistently, I’m a better Mom and wife.
- The sound of my Garmin beeping, I think it’s happy I’m back to running too.
- Permanent smile on my face during last nights run. I even had people wave at me and I don’t know who they were.
- The struggle. When you are almost done your run and your lungs are giving up before your legs but you just keep pushing forward anyway.
- Accomplishment. That feeling when you finish the distance or time you’ve set out for. You smile, you breath easy, you feel great.
- PT exercises that are actually really hard to do. My stability is horrible I’m learning.
- The support from loved ones, thank you 🙂
For now, I’m back to running one day and taking the next day off so I can build up my distance and avoid injury. I’m even allowed to play soccer with my brace so, yup you guessed it…I’ll be back at that too.
If you’ve been off running for a while, what’s your favourite thing when you get back to it?
Any weekend plans? Racing, training?
Are you into fall temps yet?