It’s taken me a long time to decided between two 1/2 Marathons that take place back to back weekends in October.
1. The Valley Harvest Marathon
2. Prince Edwards Island Marathon
I’ve talked about it here AND more extensively here about them but just couldn’t decide until a few weeks ago when I was at a youth run. I was chatting with the race director from the Valley Harvest and she talked about when she ran the 1/2 and FULL and something just clicked. Valley Harvest 1/2 it would be for me.
So…it looks like I’ll run my second 1/2 Marathon this Fall … gulp!
All registered – No turning back!
Don’t get me wrong, I still want to do the PEI 1/2 Marathon and will run it someday. I plan on running my Half and then make our way to Halifax for our family (Canadian) Thanksgiving Dinner….head’s up MOM….I’ll be RUNgry 🙂
Now, PEI isn’t entirely out of the question for me as I am debating on running the 10k distance still. I think it would be a good introduction to the event itself and a fun way to finish off the running season.
So, Valley Harvest 1/2 here I come…PEI 1/2…I’ll run you next year…maybe I’ll run my first FULL in PEI – Ha ha! I have to get it checked off my bucket list one of these days 🙂
How long does it take you to decide on a race?
Anyone running a 1/2 Marathon this Fall ? Which one?
Have you ever met the Race Director of a big race? I have met two, pretty down to earth race directors.
Yesterday I saw a post on Facebook saying that registration was opening for one of the races I want to do this year. My heart rate went through the roof! HA! The thought of hitting register/paid made my heart rate increase and I could feel it happen – seriously! I had a good laugh at that!
I haven’t posted my running schedule yet as I am still decided on a few runs. I have however decided that I will run my (2nd) 1/2 Marathon in the Fall. I’m toying between two runs: Valley Harvest Marathon (10 minutes from my house) and the Prince Edward Island Marathon (5 hour car ride with both girls one way). What do to? Let me break it down:
Valley Harvest Marathon – 1/2 Marathon – October 12th
- $60 (early bird is before Aug 31st)
- Kids Run (Yes – Lilly ran last year)
- 10 minutes from my house
- Thanksgiving weekend
- Sunday morning @ 8:30 am
- Have run the 5k and 10k before in the past – great events
- Could just run the 10k this year (and do PEI 1/2 the following weekend)
- Potential of have family and friends throughout the course – if they want to get up that early 😉
Prince Edward Island Marathon – 1/2 Marathon – October 20th
- $67.50 (early bird April 30th)
- Kids Run – YES!
- Travel costs ($250- $350 – gas, bridge fees, food)
- Sunday morning 9 am
- Having my little family there to cheer me on and maybe a few others too
- 5 hour car ride with both girls (one way)
- Staying with family for 4-5 nights (Drive over Friday and come back Monday)
- Did I mention it would be a 5 hour car ride with both girls more than likely on my own
- Weekend with my husband and girls…plus Aunts/Uncles BONUS!!!!
- Driving 5 hours BACK HOME a day after the 1/2 Marathon more than likely by myself (unpacking car, laundry, meals etc)….maybe I’ll just take some vacation time.
My heart really wants to run the PEI 1/2 (like, REALLY WANTS TO) but the logistics of doing that could be pretty stressful leading up to and then still having to travel back home. I just have a feeling that it would be a great run to do. I want to do the Valley Harvest because its 10 minutes from my house, I’ve run the 5k and 10k before, it’s familiar to me and I feel like there will be less stress (potentially).
Registration opens tomorrow for The Tartan Twosome Run!!! (Sept 12th & 13th) A coastal 5k Friday night at sunset overlooking the ocean and the Classic 10k the next 8am sunrise. This would be perfect for training for my 1/2. Plus, I can dress up like a Pirate…RRRRRRRRRR! I’m in!
What to do, what to do. My heart is torn. Valley Harvest (Oct 12th) OR Prince Edward Island October 17-19th?
Also, I never realised how much I value those kids runs! Lilly is already excited to do another run this year!
Have you ever been stuck on which races to run?
Do you register the day registration opens or wait?
Do kid’s runs matter to you?